Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Shiraz and Furniture Glazing Do Not Mix!

Okay, dear readers, when we left our project yesterday, the island trim moulding had gotten two coats of Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations in Quilter's White. This is not a spray paint (like Rustoleum is famous for), this is a fancy schmancy (fairly new) product they have that promises no sanding, no stripping, and no priming. I am the biggest fan of this stuff (more posts to follow on just how MUCH I've actually used it in my home), and no, I do not work for Rustoleum. But they could hire me, if they want. I love them.

Here is my progress today. Island trim is all painted and glazed:



The Rustoleum kit contains the deglosser (basically a chemical stripper), the base coat of paint, the glaze, these gauzy cloths that help you wipe on/wipe off the glaze, and the polyurethane top coat. The deglosser was unnecessary in this project since that product's purpose is to remove the sheen/polyurethane from cabinetry, and in this case, my trim did not have that on it. I just applied two coats of the base coat. It dries to a matte consistency. You have to put polyurethane over it to protect it and give it a slightly glossy sheen.

My glazing was going well until the effects of the glass of Shiraz wine I had kicked in. Then I encountered a roadblock. I seem to have accidentally wiped the paint underneath away in one spot, and therefore I could not get my glaze to stick in the left bottom corner. When I went back to do a second coat of glaze in places where I wanted it darker, I inadvertently made this area too dark. It looked like this:


The thing about this is that you can paint over the glaze if you want to (I am going to put some of my Rustoleum Quilter's White Base coat where I got it too dark), then reglaze. The products are forgiving. They are all water-based. So here it is after I decided to paint over the dark spot:


And VOILA! After the glaze had been redone:


Glazing is something I had always been initimidated by, so was too afraid to try. I mean don't you just love glazed cabinets and glazed furniture?! They're so beautiful. It must be hard to achieve that effect, right?! Wrong . . . . It's very easy. When I first glazed my island a few months ago, I was amazed how incredibly easy it is. You just rub the glaze on with one of those gauzy cloths, then wipe it off to get the desired effect. Simple. It is seriously one of the most easy and fun things I have every done. I used a small paintbrush to do the detail work on the inside of the trim. It was literally one from a child's paint-by-number kit. It worked perfectly. Here's a pic of the brush with the glaze:



Rub on and off with a gauzy cloth:


So progress is being made. Tomorrow, the plan is to put on the polyurethane topcoat, then get to work on doing the same panel trim on the exposed ends of the lower perimeter cabinets.

Then I will do trim on the exposed ends of the upper cabinetry. I bought some moulding, and some more moulding, and even some more. Where does it end?! My moulding obsession is getting out of control.



This one seems to have promise as the trim for the upper cabinet end panels:



It's chair rail moulding from Lowe's.

Until later . . .


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am just at the start of the Rustoleum project using Quilters White on our kitchen cabinets. Instead of wiping the glaze all over everything then wiping it off, except for in the corners and grooves; what if I skipped that step, and simply took a small paint brush (like you did) and just applied the glaze in the corners and grooves? Pls let me know what you think....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, you will need to put the glaze all over then wipe off because, from what I remember, most of the cabinet will look white and the glazed parts might look out of place. But you could try it and see. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete