Sunday, July 15, 2012

How to Remove Frosted Glass Spray or Coating

So I decided to frost the glass on my kitchen cabinets using (first) Rustoleum's Frosted Glass Spray paint, and then over that, I brushed Liquitex artist's matte medium (post is here: http://lipstickandabradnailer.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-frost-glass-cabinets.html)


Then I decided that I didn't want the frosted glass anymore. It's just that my kitchen has a traditional look to it, and I thought the frosted glass made it look more modern, and thus out of place. Here is how it looked:




So the Rustoleum Frosted Glass spray paint and the artist's matte medium are both removeable. If you have used etching cream to frost the glass or if you have bought frosted glass that was professionally frosted, that is permanent, and this method of removal will not work for you. 


I just left the cabinets hanging, and I sprayed water on the glass (I had frosted the back of the glass on the inside of the cabinet) to soften the frosted coating some. I also read somewhere that spraying water on the glass beforehand lessens the chances that you will scratch the glass when you use the scraper. Then I bought this handy dandy glass Stanley glass scraper at Wal-mart for less than $3. It has a wide blade.




The wide blade worked so easily to remove this coating. This did not scratch my glass (which is not safety or tempered glass, by the way). You have to press down firmly, though, to get it to come off well. The coating that comes off is kind of like plastic wrap. Here is a better pic of it:





It came off very easily with little mess. I recommend using a removeable method if you are going to frost glass, since you may change your mind someday and not want it anymore or at least not want the pattern you originally had on it. Here is my glass after I removed all the frosted glass coating:




Much better until I decide what I want to do with the glass!!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful Kitchen. I frosted the sidelight glass panels on my front door and now I don't like. Thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome I love the fact of showing the essence offrosted glass, so better to keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is similar to my dream kitchen where space can be maximized and equipments placed in their proper position. It might have Frosted Glass for doors and ornamental glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had frosted our bedroom french door panels to give more privacy over 10 years ago. Now we are selling the house and wanted to get rid of the spray frost. I saw these tips yesterday and within a few hours last night the glass is shining and sparkling again. Thanks for the awesome tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your kitchen - its beautiful! Thnx. Im off to remove the frosting from my cabinet windows.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking the time to publish this helpful, well pictured step-by-step guide! I am not so crafty but need to create privacy for an ugly, all glass, publicly used door in a rented space. I found Rustoleum's frosted glass at Home Depot but was concerned about removal when/if we don't rent the space anymore. We currently have an ugly curtain gathered on two rods top and bottom. The bottom rod constantly comes loose and gets caught in the frequently used door. Now, I feel empowered to get rid of the curtain and start frosting!:) Thanks for not only (sucessfully) beautifying your home, but also my UGLY door. Consider your blog bookmarked:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My landlord frosted my only window, which happens to overlook their backyard. My indoor cat is going crazy because he cannot see out. My cat thanks you for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to ask if you are aware of how permanent the spray is once dry. Can one scratch it using his/her nails for example?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The spray is very durable. No, nails scratching it won't rub it off. It took me a glass scraper to get it off, as seen above. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the advise. I was told I needed a razor so your type of razor is helpful. I will make a trip to walmart tomorrow.
    Beautiful kitchen by the way..Love the frost on but prefer the frost off better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! I was trying to figure out how to get frosting off my screen door. Now I know!! Thanks for your Genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks.... off i go.... tonights project. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Put a goodly amount of Joy dishwashing liquid in the water frost to act as a lubricant. I owned a large window cleaning firm (residential to high rise buildings) for many years. Never scrap dry glass and wear gloves and eye protection as you do this. It’s not impossible to hit a glass flaw or dig your blade and the result will be raining glass.

    ReplyDelete