Monday, July 2, 2012

Joint Compound is my Second New Favorite Thing

Next to my new brad nailer, joint compound is my next new favorite thing. I used caulk to fill in some of the gaps, but the joint compound works well to spread over to level and smooth a surface. I needed to do this where I had cut a piece of base moulding in half on the back of the island, and it had a bunch of gaps and wasn't level. I love the texture of joint compound. It is thick and goopy. What is so wondrous is that after the joint compound dries, you can take a paper towel or wet cloth and smooth over the joint compound, and it magically smooths out. You can do this even after it's painted. So you can make some mistakes or have it look imperfect, and later go over it and fix it. It is very forgiving. Here is what joint compound looks like, and the two putty knives I used (I used the one on the right to get the joint compound out of the tub and load it onto the yellow one, since I mainly needed it to go in the middle of the yellow putty knife).


Here is my surface after doing one or two coats of this stuff:


Scary, right?! It's all bumpy and lumpy. Again, a wet towel will smooth it out.

Here's the caulk I used for gaps:



It's just a silicone caulk from Ace Hardware. It goes on white but dries clear. I just used this because that's what we had on hand, but you could really use any kind. It is paintable. Here's what it looks like with caulk in the crevices:



After smoothing out the moulding with joint compound, here's how it looked:


Much smoother, right?

Then, after all that was dry, it was time to paint. I used the same paint and glaze I did on the rest of the island, it's from Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations in the color Quilter's White. It is a cream color (looks white in the pic). I will glaze (hopefully tomorrow). Here it is after the paint:


Looks pretty spiffy. I am liking it.

See you tomorrow. I am tired and need to go to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment